InMotion Hosting has made a name for itself as a hosting company attracting business users primarily. This is not to say that all their plans are fine-tuned specially for businesses, but their plans do come with features that can be put to better use by those with a little more technical background. In terms of hosting types, the company offers multiple shared hosting packages, VPS hosting, dedicated and reseller hosting plans.
In this InMotion Hosting review, we’ll go over the hosting features, prices, and pros and cons of this hosting provider, so you can have a better understanding of their services.
InMotion is certainly a breath of fresh air in a hosting environment that is largely overtaken by brands of the Endurance International Group. The company has been independently operating since 2001, and owns two data centers (Virginia Beach and Los Angeles), one for each U.S. coast.
Apart from their hosting plans overflowing with amazing features, the company is also recognized for their reliability and focus on providing outstanding customer support, an aspect which is deeply enshrined in their company culture.
Plans & Pricing
InMotion has three plans for each type of hosting they offer. These plans are configured differently to match different skill levels, performance and resource requirements.
You’ll find InMotion’s shared hosting plans marketed as Business Hosting. These plans are created to meet the hosting requirements of static websites, custom applications and database-driven content management systems. The RAIDed fault tolerant Samsung SSD drives and enterprise quality Dell servers account for the reliability and speed of these hosting plans.
You can expect to pay between $5.99/mo and $13.99/mo for InMotion’s shared business plans, which are all backed by a 90-day money-back guarantee.
VPS plans are built on a cloud-powered infrastructure that features real-time redundancy, free server management, CentOS and LAMP stack, cPanel license included, live-state snapshots and unlocked CPU cores.
VPS hosting plans are optimized for eCommerce solutions (PrestaShop, Magento, WooCommerce), come with up to 5 dedicated IP addresses, free backups, SSH access, free domain, and 90-day money-back guarantee.
In terms of pricing, the VPS starter package (VPS-1000HA-S plan) costs $29.99/mo, their best value VPS plan (VPS-2000HA-S plan) costs $49.99/mo, while their most advanced VPS plan has a monthly rate of $74.99.
All three dedicated hosting packages include free server management (OS and cPanel security patches, updates, and 2 h hardware replacement), SSD performance, U.S. tech support, up to 15 free IPs, LAMP stack, cPanel and WHM license included. InMotion also offers commercial-class dedicated servers as well, which come with enterprise-level server specs (e.g. Dual Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 v4, 3.0GHz Turbo 16C/32T, 64GB ECC DDR4 RAM, 15 TB data transfer, etc.).
Prices for non-commercial dedicated servers range between $99.99/mo and $229.99/mo, while prices for commercial dedicated servers are between $369.99 and $539.99 per month.
Whether you’re building your first WordPress site or your umpteenth one, WordPress optimized hosting can go a long way in simplifying the process of building and maintaining a site that runs on WordPress.
InMotion’s hosting plans optimized for WordPress include WordPress pre-installed by an expert, WP-CLI enabled, drag and drop site builder, free themes, free design and hosting support, no restrictions on the plugins you can use, free backups and auto-updates. WordPress hosting is advertised at the same price range as InMotion’s shared business hosting plans.
Reseller hosting plans come with free SSD, WHMCS billing software, cPanel (unlimited individual cPanel sub-accounts, free dedicated IP, free eNom domain reseller account, easy white labeling, Softaculous auto-installer, free backups, etc. Monthly prices for reseller hosting start at $13.99.
Apart from web hosting services, InMotion hosting also offers domain registration with Domain Privacy for $9.99/year per domain.
If you want professional help in building a website, you can opt for InMotion’s web design services for stunning custom-built sites with hosting included in design package.
Features & Value
The hosting features sported by InMotion’s plans provide all the tools necessary to ensure an uninterrupted hosting service that confers performance and growth flexibility to your website(s).
Here’s a rundown of the most amazing hosting features you can find at InMotion:
- SSD storage: solid state drives ensure up to 20x faster speeds than spinning drives, and since InMotion puts a great emphasis on performance, they provide SSD storage with all their plans;
- cPanel & WHM license: all hosting plans include cPanel license, which is the top web-based control panel suitable both for newbies and advanced users;
- Support for multiple programming languages: SSH access allows you to work faster, and the support for programming languages like Ruby, Perl, MySQL, PostgreSQL and Python means that you can develop in the language you know and like best;
- Free data backups: free data backups and live-state snapshots ensure the protection of your data;
- 90-day money-back guarantee: unlike most hosting providers, InMotion offers a 90-day guarantee (except for dedicated plans) to test their service and convince yourself of their value;
- Free domain name: a free domain name is included with shared, VPS and WordPress hosting plans;
- Max Speed Zone: InMotion hosting uses multiple datacenters to deliver the best speed and performance for your site. With some plans, you have the option to choose the datacenter most suitable for your site.
- Free website migration: not all hosting companies offer free migration services. If you’re looking to migrate from another cPanel hosting, InMotion offers up to 30 free cPanel account transfers.
The value of great customer support cannot be overlooked. InMotion prides itself with their highly-trained team of professionals who are available 24/7 on mail, chat and phone to help out with any hosting issue you may encounter.
The fact that they take customer support very seriously is also proven by their impressive Support Center, where customers can find comprehensive product guides, video tutorials, FAQs, educational channels, and ask questions from InMotion’s community support.
Pros & Cons
No hosting provider is perfect, but InMotion may come close to achieving a near perfect status in the rankings of many hosting review sites. Let’s see what are its fortes and which aspects of InMotion’s hosting need improvement.
Pros of InMotion hosting:
- Speed, security and reliability: For 14 years in a row, InMotion has been a CNET certified business. What’s more, the BBB (Better Business Bureau) also awarded them a A+ Rating. With multiple data centers, 24/7 monitoring & support, and fail-safe infrastructure, it’s safe to say that your website is in good hands;
- 90-day money-back period: Most of their plans are backed by a 90-day money back guarantee, which goes to show InMotion’s trust in the quality of their services;
- Top-class support: As mentioned before, great customer support is at the heart of InMotion’s hosting services;
- Freebies: There are lots of freebies that spice up their hosting plans including free marketing credits, free domain name, free backups, free website migration, etc.
Cons of InMotion hosting:
- “Lock-in” periods: to benefit from certain discounts or freebies (e.g. free domain name), InMotion requires that you commit for a certain period (usually 6 or 12 months). Even though there is a 90-day money-back guarantee, some customers may prefer the freedom of not being contractually tied to a certain hosting company.
InMotion Hosting isn’t the cheapest hosting around, but if you’re not a fan of counting pennies and you’re willing to pay a little extra for the premium support and the galore of features you get with each plan, this hosting provider should certainly be among your top choices when looking for a reputable hosting provider for your site.