SiteGround are an independently-owned web hosting company, an aspect that becomes immediately apparent once you visit their website. Their well-crafted hosting packages cover the entire board of web hosting types from start-up plans to enterprise-level plans.
SiteGround Company Overview
SiteGround was founded in 2004, and it’s based in Europe, Bulgaria. However, the company appeals to international audiences thanks to their globally distributed data center locations (London, Amsterdam, Milan, Singapore, Chicago). SiteGround have offices both in the US and Europe, and their servers host over 500,000 domains. Most of the hosting solutions offered by SiteGround are developer-oriented, but some of their plans are suitable for general audiences as well.
SiteGround Plans & Pricing
Each type of hosting is represented by more hosting plans, including some CMS-specific plans like Joomla hosting and WordPress hosting.
Shared hosting plans
SiteGround’s shared hosting plans are capped in terms of web space, the number of websites they allow you to host, as well as the maximum number of monthly visitors your site can handle. Monthly traffic and the number of MySQL databases you can host are both unlimited.
Prices start at $3.95/month for the Start Up plan, which includes hosting for a single website, 10 GB disk space, and it’s suitable for up to 10,000 monthly visits. The Grow Big plan starts at $7.95/month allowing you to host multiple websites, includes 20GB of web space, and it’s suitable for up to 25,000 monthly visits. The Go Geek plan boasts more advanced features, with an appeal to developers and IT professionals, it allows multiple domain hosting, includes 30 GB web space, and it’s suitable for up to 100,000 monthly visits.
All plans include a free domain name, free SSD storage, free email accounts, free site transfer, free SSL & HTTP/2, as well as many other essential and premium features (with Grow Big and Go Geek plans) that will be detailed in the Features & Value section of this SiteGround review.
Shared hosting plans are available in their WordPress or Joomla optimized versions as well, packing features that are specific for each CMS. For example, WordPress-optimized plans include free WP-install, free WP Auto-Updater, WP-CLI available, CloudFlare integration, WordPress SuperCacher, free backups, WordPress specific support, free Wildcard SSL, free PCI compliance, 1-click WordPress staging and pre-installed Git for WordPress.
Cloud hosting plans
SiteGround’s cloud hosting plans are built to be fast, auto-scalable, and are fully managed. Those who want to configure a cloud hosting plan of their own, can do so choosing the CPU, memory and SSD space they need. 5 TB data transfer is a given parameter with all plans.
SiteGround customers can opt for any of the 4 pre-configured cloud hosting plans – Entry ($64/month), Business ($96/month), Business Plus ($128/month) and Enterprise ($192/month). In terms of resources, the Enterprise plan is the highest tier plan and has the following configuration: 8 CPU cores, 10 GB memory, 120 GB SSD, and 5 TB data transfer.
Cloud hosting plans include VIP support, daily backups, free CDN & multiple data center locations. They also come with support for Drupal, WordPress, Joomla and Magento (1-click installs, auto-updates, Git integration, live-staging, SSH enabled, etc.).
Dedicated hosting plans
SiteGround’s premium managed dedicated servers are represented through three hosting packages – Entry Server ($179/month), Power Server ($258/month) and Enterprise Server ($336/month).
SiteGround lets you choose your data center location (US, Europe or Asia-Pacific) and provides 5 TB bandwidth all their plans. The Enterprise Server boasts the most resources with 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 CPUs, 2 x 6 CPU cores, 1 x 12 CPU threads, 15 MB CPU cache, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, and 4 x 500 GB SATA III/RAID 10 HDD. Dedicated plans are optimized for the most popular applications, have all the software and maintenance you need included with 24/7 VIP support.
Reseller hosting plans
SiteGround’s reseller hosting solution works on a credit-based system, where 1 credit is the equivalent of 1 year of hosting. To get started, you need to purchase 5 credits initially. Each credit comes with 10 GB web space, unmetered data transfer, free daily backups, cPanel & SSH access, unlimited MySQL databases, free email accounts, unlimited FTP accounts, SSD storage, free CloudFlare integration, eCommerce solutions (free shopping cart and free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates), SSH access, and other security and performance-related features.
White labelling is possible with non-branded cPanel and private DNS. Prices for credits start as low as $33/year.
Businesses that need a bespoke solution for their needs can choose SiteGround’s custom-made enterprise hosting that includes full management, personal account managers and premium support.
SiteGround Features & Value
The features built into SiteGround’s hosting plans drive better performance and ensure better security for your site:
- Globally distributed datacenter locations – whether you’re looking to target audiences in Asia-Pacific or Europe, SiteGround allows you to choose the datacenter closest to your target audience;
- Free SSLs & HTTP/2 – for added security and easy one-click roll-out to simplify going HTTPS with WordPress;
- CloudFlare CDN integration – free CDN integration is available with all hosting plans for added performance and security;
- cPanel and SSH Access – cPanel and SSH access is included even with shared hosting plans;
- WordPress and Joomla staging & Git integration – the live-staging and Git integration features included with the Go Geek plan are extremely useful for developers;
- SuperCacher – speed optimization tool included with some of their shared hosting plans and higher tier plans (3 caching methods: static and dynamic cache, plus memcached);
- Free dedicated IPs – cloud and dedicated hosting plans include up to 5 dedicated IPs for free;
- WordPress, Joomla, Drupal and Magento specific features – hosting plans come with support for important CMSs rolling out features such as 1-click installation, auto-updates, caching tools, Git integration, etc.;
- Free backups – 7 offsite backups from 7 consecutive days are offered for free to guarantee no data loss;
- Free domain name included with shared, cloud and dedicated hosting packages;
- Other security features included for free – Anti-Hack System, proactive updates and patches, SPAM Experts spam prevention, etc.;
- Full-spectrum hosting provider – from the day you launch your site to the day it grows into a successful business, you can rely on SiteGround to take care of your website’s changing hosting needs.
These are just some of the amazing features included with SiteGround’s hosting packages. Each plan is configured for different uses, with most plans being configured with developers and IT professionals in mind. Overall, SiteGround offers good value for your money, even though some of their plans are pricier than those offered by competitors.
SiteGround Customer Support
SiteGround promises not to keep their customers waiting, opening 3 support channels with quick response times. Ticketing system replies are sent within 10 minutes, live chat replies are sent instantly, and phone support has a no-wait policy. Specialized, application-specific support is also available.
SiteGround have invested in a knowledge base as well, which is made complete by video tutorials, SiteGround webinar series and an intuitive setup wizard that guides users through the first steps of their hosting account setup.
SiteGround Pros & Cons
No hosting provider is perfect, especially if their hosting services are not in line with your requirements. Let’s see the pros and cons of joining SiteGround.
Pros of SiteGround
- Global orientation (multiple datacenter locations);
- Transparency and great support;
- Strong features set and integrations;
- Speed and reliability (99.99% uptime);
- Automatic backups;
- Developer-oriented hosting.
Cons of SiteGround
- Higher renewal rates than the competition;
- Month-to-month plans have a $12 set-up fee;
- No Windows servers.
It’s difficult to compare plans and prices across the hosting industry, and in many cases, it feels like comparing apples to oranges, especially that features can be so different from company to company. By going over the features offered by SiteGround, however, it’s clear that they stand tall compared to more affordable web hosting providers both in terms of customer support and features included with their plans. SiteGround does not target general audiences as much as they target developers, so most of their plans are oriented to tap into that segment of consumers.